Monday, July 19, 2010

In My Mailbox (1)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren in which we share what books we have received during the week.

Last week I bought three new books:


Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
I wanted to collect the special editions of all three books because I love the covers, but I have had trouble locating this edition for Inkheart and Inkdeath. When I finally came across this one online I had to get it ASAP before it became unavailable. I'm still missing Inkheart though.

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen
I've read rave reviews of some of the books in the Rizzoli and Isles series, and now that they have made a TV series of it I wanted to check out the books. This is the first in the series.

From the cover: He slips into homes at night and walks silently into bedrooms where women lie sleeping, about to awaken to a living nightmare. The precision of his methods suggests that he is a deranged man of medicine, prompting the Boston newspapers to dub him "The Surgeon". Led by Detectives Thomas Moore and Jane Rizzoli, the cops must consult the victim of a nearly identical crime: Two years ago, Dr. Catherine Cordell fought back and killed an attacker before he could complete his assault. Now this new killer is re-creating, with chilling accuracy, the details of Cordell's ordeal. With every new murder he seems to be taunting her, cutting ever closer, from her hospital to her home. And neither Moore nor Rizzoli can protect Cordell from a ruthless hunter who somehow understands - and savors - the secret freas of every woman he kills.

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton
What can I say - I love pirates!

From the cover: Jamaica 1665. A lone British outpost in Spanish-controlled Caribbean Waters. Its capital, Port Royal, a cutthroat town of taverns and bawdy houses - the last place anyone would expect an attack to be launched on a Spanish stronghold. Yet that is the plan of renowned privateer Captain Charles Hunter and Charles II's ruling governor, Sir James Almont.
The target is the sheer-cliffed and impregnable Matanceros, guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla. Hunter's ragtag crew of buccaneers must brave raging hurricanes, cannibals, sea monsters and the Spanish fleet, but if they succeed they will make history ... and a fortune in gold.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails