Sunday, July 4, 2010

Read in August 2009

Catching up post.

16) The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G.W. Dahlquist
Read: 25 June - 3 August 2009
Pages: 753

It took me a while to get through this book. It wasn't bad, but not great either. I have read lots of reviews saying it would have benefited from being 200-300 pages shorter, and I tend to agree. When it takes a whole page to describe how a character has her tea, I do lose interest a bit. But the action sequences were very good, and I liked the three heroes (I'm especially fond of Doctor Svenson - and of course the green ankle boots). I'm glad I got a chance to read this book, though I think it will be a while before I seek out the sequel.

"This is nonsense! First you say I am a murderer - an agent in league against you - and now I am a deluded heartsick girl! Pray make up your mind so I can scoff at you with precision!"
- Miss Temple

My rating: 4

17) Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich
Read: 4 - 16 August 2009
Pages: 319
My rating: 5

18) The Alchemist's Secret by Scott Mariani
Read: 16 - 22 August 2009
Pages: 466

First in the Ben Hope series. Ben Hope lives on the edge. A former élite member of the SAS, Ben is tortured by a tragedy from his past and now devotes his life to finding kidnapped children.But when Ben is recruited to locate an ancient manuscript which could save a dying child, he embarks on the deadliest quest of his life.The document is alleged to contain the formula for the elixir of life, discovered by the brilliant alchemist Fulcanelli decades before. But it soon becomes apparent that others are hunting this most precious of treasures - for far more evil ends.When the secrets of alchemy hidden within the pages remain impenetrable, Ben teams up with beautiful American scientist Dr Roberta Ryder to crack the code.It seems that everyone - from the Nazis during WW2 and powerful Catholic organisation Gladius Domini - wants to unearth the secrets of immortality.The trail leads Ben and Roberta from Paris to the ancient Cathar strongholds of the Languedoc, where an astonishing secret has lain hidden for centuries…

This is a classic thriller that doesn't introduce anything new to the genre, but I like it. Ben Hope is an interesting hero, and the story is suspenseful and action-filled.

My rating: 4

19) The Mozart Conspiracy by Scott Mariani
Read: 22 - 30 August 2009
Pages: 448

This second book in the Ben Hope series was even better than the first.

My rating: 5

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog! Nice reviews :-) I love the Stephanie Plum books...just read and reviewed Sizzling Sixteen :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails