Friday, August 20, 2010

Booking Through Thursday (2)

I shouldn't be doing this Booking Through Thursday, because I have a ton of other things I should be doing (like reading!), but I could never resist a good questionnaire.

1. Favorite childhood book?
Oh gosh, I have no idea. I loved series like Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene, The Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee Jones and The Famous Five by Enid Blyton. I also remember absolutely loving what I think is The Island of Adventure by Enid Blyton.

2. What are you reading right now?
The Secret River by Kate Grenville.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None. I rarely use the library anymore, too many books on my shelves at home.

4. Bad book habit?
Buying more than I read?

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
See # 3.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
Yes, I recently bough a Kindle 2.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I'm simply not able to read more than one book at a time. I've tried starting two books with the intention of switching between them, but I always end up putting one aside until I've finished the other.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I only started blogging seriously in June, so no, nothing's changed so far - except that my wishlist is a mile longer.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Not very often, I'm afraid.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Thrillers, mystery, fantasy, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, women's fiction.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes, but I prefer relaxing and looking out the window. I like reading on trains better.

14. Favorite place to read?
Curled up on my couch with pillows and a blanket.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I only lend books to my mum, because I know she takes as good care of them as I do. No one else asks to borrow books from me anyway, which is just as well.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Heavens, no!

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
No. If I want to make notes, I do it on post-its or a paper pad.

18.  Not even with text books?
Well, yes. A lot. I found it helped me remember.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
Norwegian if the book is written in Norwegian or another Nordic language, otherwise English. I can also read Swedish, Danish and easy French books, but they do require a little more work so I don't do it very often. I probably should, though.

20. What makes you love a book?
A combination of things like interesting plot, solid characters, a sense of humour, that make me go "This is so great!".

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If someone tells me they like a certain genre or topic or element and I've read a book that fits the bill, or I know someone's reading preferences and I've read something that would be right up their alley.

22. Favorite genre?
So many. See # 12.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Historical non-fiction.

24. Favorite biography?
I don't read many biographies, but I remember loving one about Helen Keller when I was a kid.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
One or two.

26. Favorite cookbook?
Two Norwegian ones: Cappelens nye kokebok and 365 sunne middager på en halv time.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I don't think any of them have been particularly inspirational.

28. Favorite reading snack?
I don't usually snack when I read (only when I watch TV), but chocolate is always good.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Can't think of any at the moment. I usually never get around to those books until the hype has died down.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Sometimes.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I don't feel bad about it. I figure a book can't please everyone, and that particular one just wasn't for me. I trust anyone who reads my reviews remembers that what I write is simply my personal opinion.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
I already do (English), but I would love to be able to read in French. And German. And Italian.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Hmm... Maybe something I read in uni?

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Pride and Prejudice. Yes, I heard your gasp. I've read excerpts and seen the movie and the tv series, so I know the story well, but I've never actually read the book. I'm afraid I'll hate it, or worse, be bored.

35. Favorite Poet?
Robert Frost.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
None.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
A few times, mostly because they were overdue.

38. Favorite fictional character?
This is very hard to answer, because I have many favourite characters. But if you twist my arm, I have to say Aragorn from Lord of the Rings. He's just about perfect.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
It must be getting late... Can't think of any.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Something that doesn't require too much brain power, because there's bound to be distractions and interruptions.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
I didn't read anything but textbooks for a couple of years in high school. Sad, I know.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey. I really wanted to read it, but I gave up after only a few pages. It was written in the form of letters from Ned Kelly, complete with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Lots of them. All I could think of was grabbing a red pen and start correcting. I had to put it down to keep my sanity. Shouting at books is not pretty.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
People talking on the tv or radio and music in another language than what I'm reading.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Lord of the Rings.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I'd like to say War of the Worlds because I found it utterly ridiculous, but I haven't read the book so I guess it doesn't count.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
I have no idea. Physical bookstore - not so much. Online bookstore - a whole lot more.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I don't think I do that. I read the blurb and sometimes the first page to get a feel for the book.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Finding myself not caring about the characters or what happens. An abundance of factual errors. Bad editing.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
You wouldn't think so looking at my shelves, but yes, my books are quite organised. Hey, as long as I know where to find a particular book that's enough, right?

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I used to be a keeper, but since joining BookCrossing (and moving three times in as many years) I've discovered the joys of giving books away. Unfortunately high postage costs don't permit me to send books all over the world anymore.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
The Millennium Trilogy and The Hunger Games Trilogy (yes, I heard you gasping again). I'm sorry, but they just don't interest me.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
Did I mention True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey?

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
I'm not sure. If I don't expect to like a book, I probably won't pick it up in the first place.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Oh, plenty. American Gods by Neil Gaiman, for instance.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Rosamunde Pilcher.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I enjoy a little Robert Frost too. I reluctanly answered the questions. My answers are short and to the point. I like it when we are asked on topic and we can discuss it in depth, this was nothing more than a survey. Anyhoo, Here is my Booking Through Thursday

Related Posts with Thumbnails