Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Inspirational Characters


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature / weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we make a top ten list from a given topic.

This week's topic is

Top Ten Most Inspirational Characters

I had such a hard time making this list. Over the years I must have read hundreds, if not thousands of books, but suddenly I was unable to remember any of them and their characters. While there are many characters I like, some I can relate to and some I have a crush on, none of that is the same as being inspirational. So this list is going to be rather short, but at least it is a list.

I expect to see a lot of Elizabeth Bennetts and Katniss Everdeens around this week. ;)

1. Samwise Gamgee (The Lord of the Rings)
Sam is the best friend anyone could ever ask for. He follows Frodo into certain death; he protects him, he fights for him, and when Frodo gives up, Sam lifts him onto his back and carries him on. Frodo would not have gotten far without Sam.

2. Neville Longbottom (Harry Potter series)
Neville may not be the hero of the story, but beneath that nervous and timid exterior he possesses a very rare courage. As Dumbledore puts it in the first book: "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."

3. Éowyn (The Lord of the Rings)
She is a woman living in a man's world, but refuses to be held back by tradition. She is determined to fight for her people and her beliefs, because she knows she can make a difference – and boy, does she make a difference.

4. Precious Ramotswe (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
Unafraid, intelligent, clever, resourceful and ever the optimist, Mma Ramotswe is a true inspiration.

There must be others. I'll be back as soon as I can think of them.

9 comments:

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

Solid choices! Seriously, Mma Ramotswe made it all the way to the finals of my list, but didn't make the last cut. She's a great choice.

Anonymous said...

here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-ten-tuesday-most-inspirational.html

Irene Palfy said...

I loved Neville!! Great list! :")

brandileigh2003 said...

Samwise is a great addition
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Celiac Librarian said...

I love Neville and Sam! Yay for amazing supporting characters.

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't believe I forgot Precious! It's great to see her included on someone's list.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Oh yes, Mma Romatswee. I admire her so much and think she is a good role model for many women. Alexander McCall Smith is such a good author have you read other books and series by him?

-Anne
My Head is Full of Books

Lark Andrea said...

I love to see Neville on other's lists! He was my top pick.

Reading Lark's Top 10

P.S. - I am a new follower :)

Toni Wi said...

Awww Neville! Totally! He's so inspiring, I love Neville.

I think that made my day :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails