Thursday, March 24, 2011

Booking Through Thursday - Series or Stand-alone?

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading.

This week's question is:

Series? Or stand-alone books?

Both, please! I like stand-alone books because they wrap up the story and give me a sense of fulfillment when I finished them. I also like series because they allow me to really get to know the characters and spend more time with them. I used to read mostly stand-alones, but lately I seem to gravitate more towards series. I must have close to a hundred different series I have started or want to start. Perhaps it's time to think about finishing some of them. ;)

The problem with series is that I always have to read them in order. I hate starting in the middle of a series, because I'm afraid I might have missed something vital to the story. Also, I don't like having to wait forever to read the next book in the series (I'm looking at you, Republic of Thieves), and some series seem to go on forever without moving forward at all (I'm looking at you, Stephaine Plum). Perhaps trilogies are the perfect compromise; short enough not to lose its appeal, and long enough to get to know the characters and their story (i.e. Inkheart).

10 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

For me, it is always stand-alone books. There are exceptions though. Check out those in my BTT: Headlines post!

Anonymous said...

I like both. The most important thing is the quality of the story.

Anonymous said...

I like both as well. I've started many a series on accident in the middle (it can be frustrating). I like your reasoning on trilogies :)

My BTT

Ann said...

I'd have to agree with you re trilogies. I think that's the perfect length - I'm thinking the Wideacre Trilogy by Philippa Gregory here, and The Bronze Horseman trilogy by Paullina Simons. I tend to read stand alones mostly, but that's not to say I don't like series - although the Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon has me stumped. I've made it halfway through book 5 and that was so long ago I think I might have to start from the beginning again if I want to get to the end of book 7!

Jo K said...

I'm there with you on trilogies. I like both, but longer series can present a problem. My BTT is at http://beyondstrangenewwords.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday-serial.html

Juli Rahel said...

I do really love stand-alones because they allow me to imagine how it could continue. I'm a new follower, love your blog name BTW.
Hop over if you have the time:
http://universeinwords.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday-series-or.html
Juli @ Universe in Words

Sally said...

I hear you with the whole reading things in order - I cannot understand how anyone could read a series out of order it makes no sense.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday-10.html

Anonymous said...

I like both as long as it keeps your interest.

Belle said...

I totally agree, I just can't read books out of order. I recently started reading Love in a Cold Climate and then one chapter in discovered it was a "companion volume"/follow-up to The Pursuit of Love. Even though I don't think you actually have to read them in order, I personally had to stop reading and hunt down The Pursuit of Love.

Shirley said...

A trilogy does seem to be a good compromise. Here's mine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails