Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Review: Outside In

Outside In
By Maria V. Snyder

Published: 22 February 2011 by Harlequin Teen
Series: Inside Out #2

Read: 4 April – 19 April 2011

Challenges: 2nds Challenge #1

Review copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley

Publisher summary
ME? 

A LEADER? 

Okay, I did prove that there’s more to Inside than we knew. That a whole world exists beyond this cube we live in. And finding that led to a major rebellion—between worker scrubs like me and the snobby uppers who rule our world. Make that ruled. Because of me, we’re free. I thought that meant I was off the hook, and could go off on my own again—while still touching base with Riley, of course. He’s the one upper I think I can trust. But then we learned that there’s outside and then there is Outside. 

And something from Outside wants In.

My thoughts

I really liked Inside Out and was looking forward to reading more about Trella and her world, but sadly I ended up feeling somewhat indifferent about this book. I can't pinpoint exactly what didn't work for me, I just realised after a few chapters that I wasn't all that interested in it. It actually took me over two weeks to get through, because I kept putting it down in favour of watching tv or something like that. It's weird, because there is a lot going on in the book; there is lots of action and intrigue and a bit of romance, so all the right elements are there. Maybe it just wasn't the right book for me at the time.

That being said, I still liked it. There were things I thought could have been explored more, like the relationship between Trella and Dr Lamont, and I was left with a lot of questions about the Outsiders. But the story is fast-paced and suspenseful, and most of the characters are well developed. Trella struggles with her new position which involves a lot more responsibility than she is sure she wants to take on. She would be happy to go back to hiding in the pipes and leave the decision-making to someone else, and I don't blame her. The uppers and scrubs are still suspicious of each other, and you don't know who you can really trust Inside. I like Snyder's realistic portrayal of the aftermath of the revolution, where nothing runs smoothly and uniting the uppers and the scrubs proves to be very difficult.

Oh, and I finally figured out the time system. :)

I will be looking for more books by Maria V. Snyder, because I like her writing style and I am interested to see how she handles a different setting.

I would definitely recommend you read this sequel if you enjoyed Inside Out.

My rating:


Inside Out series

1. Inside Out (2010) - read my review
2. Outside In (2011)

Visit Maria's website or like her on Facebook.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails