Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Books I Want to See Made Into Movies

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature / weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we make a top ten list from a given topic.

This week's topic is

Books I Want To See Made Into Movies

I love this topic! While there are a great many movies based on books I would like to see remade, I have tried to include only those that someone haven't already attempted to bring to the big screen. I may not have succeeded completely in doing this.

1) The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
This is one of my favourite books, and it could be a fantastic movie or a complete disaster, depending on who, what and how. I'd still like to see someone try.

2) Cinderella: Ninja Warrior by Maureen McGowan
I loved this fairy tale retelling, and while I was reading I kept thinking "this scene would look great on screen!"

3) Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler
Yes, I know they have tried a couple of times, but they still haven't gotten it right. I haven't seen Raise the Titanic but I hear it's terrible. Sahara wasn't too bad, but the casting was completely wrong (with the exception of William H. Macy). I would love to see a series of movies based on the books with no Matthew Mc-I-can't-spell-his-last-name in sight.

4) The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
Filming only the first book in a trilogy is just wrong, even if it includes Nicole Kidman.

5) Inkspell & Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
See above (substitute Nicole Kidman for Brendan Fraser).

6) A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
I haven't actually read this book yet, but the premise sounds like it would make a great movie.

7) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
I think all of Gaiman's work would translate well onto the big screen. I can't decide whether I would prefer this one to be animated or "real" (no 3D please!).

8) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
The Cemetery of Forgotten Books! Plus, a brilliant storyline and historical Barcelona. Why isn't this a movie already?

9) Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbø
I hear this might be made into a TV series in Britain, but I'm suprised the books haven't been filmed in Norway a long time ago.

10) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
It's finally being made! I can't wait!

What books would you like to see on the big screen?

9 comments:

Ann said...

Great list! Unbelievable it seems I never made it to the end of The Shadow of the Wind, despite loving Barcelona! I might have to give it another go

kayerj said...

I can't wait to see the Hobbit!!! It's about time :P Nice list. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

Great list! I also had The Shadow of the Wind and The Hobbit. There should absolutely be more Dirk Pitt novels made into movies. I'm nervous to see Raising the Titanic...

For as much as I loved the Inheart trilogy I was very disappointed in the movie, still, like you said, they should be required to finish the series!

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Wonderful list, Hilde :) I'm also looking forward to the Hobbit.

Ellie said...

I hadn't heard about Jo Nesbo's books being adapted for TV, I better get reading! I thought the translation of Shadow of the Wind was a bit off - there was something that stopped my enjoyment so I'd love to see it as a film.

Anonymous said...

I believe Joe Nesbø's movie/TV series is in the works as you said.

I'd love to see The Amaz­ing Adven­tures of Kava­lier & Clay by Michael Chabon (http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=23) be made into a movie, although they tried.

Vy said...

I haven't read any of these books but did look them up and they would seem like cool movies!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Hmmm..not sure I can imagine The Graveyard Book on the big screen..though it is on the movie screen in my brain bright and clear. Love that book!

Trish said...

Yes, #8. It's on my list too and I was wondering the same thing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails