Thursday, January 19, 2012

Top Ten Books of 2011

I reached my goal of 40 books in 2011, the highest number I've managed in a year since I was a teenager. I thought I'd share my favourites from last year with you here. I'm not including re-reads (but if I did, you'd find some Harry Potter books and a certain Locke Lamora on this list as well).

10. Tripwire by Lee Child
Third in the Jack Reacher series. This kind of action series is my guilty pleasure (though I don't really feel guilty). I do love a good action hero, and Reacher is one of the best.

9. Hard Spell by Justin Gustainis
This first book in a new paranormal series really impressed me. I was invested in the characters and the story, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

8. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
It was impossible not to notice all the buzz about this book when it was released but at the time I didn't think it would be my cup of tea. I picked it up late last year because the price was reduced, and decided to read it over Christmas. It turned out to be the surprise of the year and I loved it.

7. Heat Wave by Richard Castle
I'm a big fan of the TV show Castle, and this book was just like reading an episode of the show.

6. The Christmas Scrapbook by Philip Gulley
I love Gulley's Harmony series with its small-town setting and its quirky characters. This will most likely be an annual Christmas read for me.

5. Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz
The Spellmans are one of my favourite fictional families and this second book in the series was just as hilaroius as the first.

4. Sapphique by Catherine Fisher
I don't know why I waited so long to read the sequel to Incarceron, because this YA series is very, very good.

3. The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
I absolutely loved this magical, whimsical story about love, belonging and cakes. (And how pretty is that cover?)

2. The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale by Christine Bell
If you've been reading my blog the past year, chances are you've heard me rave about this book before. I just had so much fun reading it, and the characters and the story have stuck with me almost a year now.

1. A Scottish Ferry Tale by Nancy Volkers
I'm not usually a fan of romance novels, but this wonderful love story went straight to my heart. I could identify with the main character on several levels, and the magical Scottish setting captivated me.

Are any of these on your favourites list as well?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails